A message from the owner and founder
I started climbing in 1973 when I was 7 years old whilst on a walking holiday in the Lake District and was hooked immediately. Although none of my family climbed, they all enjoyed and appreciated the outdoors and most of our holidays involved either mountains or beaches. Their appreciation of the natural environment rubbed off on me and 50 years on it’s still a big part of my life and I am happiest when playing in the outdoors. From an early age I was taught the importance of respect for both people and the environment.
When I was born in 1966 the world population was around 3 billion. It’s now around 7 billion and experts think it will rise to around 10 billion. The environmental impact of this massive population increase is clear to see everywhere.
As the father of an 11 year old girl I am more aware of my place in the world and the impact I have on it and as the owner of a small business I try to apply the values my family instilled in me to the way I run my business. Respect for those I work with and respect for the environment. When I climb in the outdoors or do business I am mindful of the impact my actions and choices have on the world and its resources.
I founded Moon Climbing in 2002 with the aim of producing high quality climbing clothing and equipment. I wanted to produce simple, functional products, nothing superfluous and everything built to last. 20 years on and it’s more important than ever that we stick to this philosophy so we can minimise our use of the worlds resources and come as close as possible to the “leave no trace” outdoor ethics that promote conservation.
- Simple, functional design reduces material usage and increases product durability.
- Our choice of materials is a balance between durability and environmental impact.
- Where possible we use organic fabrics, recycled fabrics and water-based dyes.
- Packaging is reduced to the absolute minimum and where it is used, we aim to use an easily recyclable material.
- Where possible we work with local suppliers to avoid unnecessary transportation.
- Where possible we choose sea freight over air freight.
- 1% of gross sales revenue donated to environmental charities.
- Respect for workers rights.
Moon Climbing was founded in 2002 by professional rock climber Ben Moon. With over 30 years of climbing experience, his goal was to develop, design and produce the high-quality climbing products that he wanted for his own day-to-day climbing.
After more than 16 years in business, the focus of Moon Climbing remains the same. The company is still run by the founder Ben Moon and a small team of dedicated climbers.
Moon Climbing brings you a core range of tried and tested climbing products including climbing clothing, packs, bags and chalk bags and an extensive range of training products, including the hugely popular MoonBoard training system.